Now that summer is around the corner, it’s time to fire up your BBQ. Before you enjoy outdoor cooking, it’s important to brush up on your fire safety. ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning compiled the following tips to help keep you safe and fire damage-free all summer long.
Before you Start
- Get ready for BBQ season by cleaning your grill
- Start by removing stuck-on grease and food. You can do this by soaking the grates, burners and shields in soapy water and scrubbing clean. Don’t forget to wipe down the outside of your grill as well.
- If you’re unable to clean your grill completely with the method above, try turning your grill on high and leaving the lid closed for 15 minutes. This should burn off stubborn debris. You can also let your grill cool until only slightly warm and scrub with a grill brush.
- Check for leaks on gas grills
- Look over your grill for any damage including punctures, dents or rust.
- Perform a test to make sure you don’t have a gas leak by
- Mixing together equal parts dish soap and water.
- Brush the solution onto your gas tank and line.
- Turn the gas on slowly. If bubbles form, you have a leak.
- Don’t use your grill until it’s repaired.
While barbecuing on a charcoal grill make sure you follow these precautions to help you avoid a fire disaster.
- Only use lighter fluid on unlit coals.
- Store lighter fluid far away from your grill.
- Before disposing of ashes, let them cool completely. Once cooled, store away from your home in a non-flammable container.
Grease fires need to be handled differently than other fires. If your BBQ fire spirals out of control, follow these steps:
- Don’t put water on a grease fire. It only makes it worse.
- Turn off the heat source and put the lid on to help you smother the flames.
- Consider keeping sand or baking soda within reach of your grill to throw on an out of control grease fire.
- If you’re unsure, evacuate and call 911.
Fire Damage Restoration
If you experience fire damage this summer, call a professional restoration company as soon as possible. Your home or business can incur unsalvageable damage without acting quickly.
Our fire damage services include:
- Fire and Smoke Restoration
- Soot Removal
- Complete Building and Contents Cleaning
- Building stabilization
- Project management and consulting
- Antiques and Fine Art Restoration
- Electronic Equipment Restoration
- Furniture Refinishing
- Data and Document Recovery
- Pack out and inventory service
ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning in West Tennessee offers a comprehensive suite of fire and water damage restoration services. Our team is proud to serve our local community and pride ourselves in delivering excellent customer service. Businesses and homeowners alike trust us in their time of need. We’ll guide you through the entire restoration process. From working with your insurance company to providing timely updates, we handle it all. Contact us at 888-930-3351 to learn more about our services. We respond 24/7 to emergency damage restoration requests.
Photo by: istockphoto.com/Maksym Ponomarenko