Your home contains countless water damage culprits. Pipes, appliances and toilets are all capable of causing some serious harm. The best way to keep leaks from destroying your home is to inspect it on a regular basis. The faster you catch a possible leak, the more damage can be prevented. Focus on your bathroom, laundry room and outside of your home. ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning compiled a water damage inspection checklist below to keep your home in West Tennessee dry and damage free.
- Make sure your toilet is secured to the floor and the tank is secured to the toilet.
- Flush your toilet to see if a leak appears. Go to your basement or wherever your toilet pipes lead and see if the flush caused any leaks.
- Check the feeder tank on your toilet and ensure that pipes and seals are in good condition.
- Ensure that the shutoff valve under your toilet tank is sealed.
- Turn on your sink faucets and look all around the area for leaks.
- Run your tub faucet for 5 minutes to make sure your bathtub doesn’t leak.
- Don’t forget about the shower diverter. Test it to ensure it’s functioning properly.
- Run your shower for a few minutes and focus on your faucet to catch leaks.
- Go to your water heater and check around it for existing moisture or leaks. The drain pan should be free of debris.
- Make sure you know where your water supply shut off is in case of an emergency.
- If you find a leak, shut your water supply off until it’s repaired.
- While your washing machine is running, check all around it to make sure water isn’t leaking.
- Ensure the hoses behind your washing machine are in good condition and aren’t being restricted in any way.
- If you have a front-loading washing machine, check that the seal is airtight and the auto lock function works properly.
- Direct downspouts away from your home.
- Inspect your chimney to make sure it’s caulking is in good condition and is undamaged.
- Look over your roof for cracks or missing shingles.
- Maintain your gutter system and remove debris.
- Your windows and doors should shut securely. If you see any gaps, install weather stripping.
- Ensure that your yard slopes away from your home so that rainwater has an escape route that doesn’t involve seeping into your home.
- Don’t plant greenery with invasive roots near your water pipes.
ServiceMaster Professional Cleaning in West Tennessee offers a comprehensive suite of services to clean and restore your home or business. We hope the above inspection list keeps your home free of water damage. If you do experience water damage, contact us at 888-930-3351. We’re available 24/7 for emergency restoration services. You can expect us to provide the great quality and service you deserve.
Photo by: istock.com/diego_cervo